Saturday 22 October 2016

Gillingham 1 v Charlton Athletic 1

I didn't go. A mate offered me a Box ticket this week but I had already decided I couldn't face it and my Wife had made other plans so I was looking after the kids. I am glad I was as we were poor and Slade managed to anger the sizeable away following once again with his negative tactics.

The first half was dire and we showed zero ambition again with a 4-5-1 formation which battled to hold a Gillingham side who have only won one of their last 12. We duly fell behind before half-time with a goal from ex-Addick youth player, Bradley Dack.

After the break Slade did at least show more ambition by going 4-4-2 when Ajose was introduced but by now it was raining on the Charlton fans in the open end behind the goal. We managed to miss a penalty before an unlikely second was awarded in the last few minutes and Ajose was on hand to save a point. Slade has been talking about turning the draws into wins but today he managed to turn a defeat into a draw. There are worse sides in this league than us but not many. We've now drawn 8 from 14 and it's a dangerous position to be in, because if the defeats outnumber the wins it inevitably puts you in trouble. Talk of promotion or the play-offs is fanciful and we are much more likely to be dragged into another relegation battle. If we lose Holmes or Lookman we are in trouble.

A supporter paid for a plane to trail a "Duchatelet & Meire - Time to Fly" banner over the ground at kick-off. It drew a large cheer from the visiting end but I am informed Meire was at the back of the Medway Stand and couldn't see it, which is a shame. BT Sport showed a video clip and it's been doing the rounds on Twitter.

I understand there was also the predictable scuffling after the game as rival fans made their way back to the station. I'm sure ours weren't entirely innocent but it really is a desperate place to visit. I decided last time I was in the town for a match that I wouldn't be repeating it. Shit pubs, basic shops and white trash. Rochester is the place to have a drink and get in and out as quickly as possible.

Next week's opponents Chesterfield were spanked three-zip at home by Scunny so should stagger into SE7 next week. Tip for Slade - play 4-4-2 and send your players out to win the match in the first-half. The now-cleared-rapist, Ched Evans, will almost certainly score so we need to set about getting two goals as quickly as we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, you know you want to....