Friday 5 February 2016

Egg chasing openers

I will miss the important Brizzle City clash at the Valley tomorrow and will have to make do with internet updates as I will be drinking at Murrayfield ahead of the Calcutta Cup. Winning doubles are rare for me, so I will gladly settle for a Charlton victory and another day of missed opportunity for Scotland if it furthers the Addicks chances of retaining their Championship status. 

There should be a good atmosphere at the Valley with a larger than normal contingent of Wurzels making their way up the M4. That, the ongoing protests and a couple of new squad faces will hopefully enliven proceedings. We should have too much for City, especially if we go for it and that should be the case under Jose Riga.

The opening day of the 6 Nations is my favourite Saturday in the sporting calendar, even pipping the first day of the football season. The organisers do it brilliantly well across the venues and the staggering of matches and live TV showings mean everyone gets to watch every game if they have the inclination. It's France v Italy first up in what should be a routine French victory. The Scotland v England game should be too close to call. England's ongoing transition under Eddie Jones and Scotland's steady progression under Vern Cotter should make the affair much closer than in recent years. 

I have a number of friends from a number of countries at the match tomorrow and am hoping to bring them all together for a post-match pint where we will also swap footballing updates, especially Charlton, West Ham, Celtic and Aberdeen.

My hearing has yet to return to normal this morning following a rock show at Wembley Arena last night - Hailstorm, Black Stone Cherry and my favourite, Shinedown. They are the reason I went, although to return the compliment I will have to endure Slipknot next week. Time for work...

2 comments:

  1. Wish I could be there again this year, but an engagement party in Sidcup awaits. You can't look after the dog then?? Even though I'm in or around town tomorrow I can't be bothered to go to Charlton, sad isn't it? Won't need my ST. Have a great day/weekend and hope you are pleased on at least one front, while I should be delighted on two. BTW interesting article on Fraeye in the Newshopper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading that article, Fraye didn't have any luck, but when your team gets knocked out of the F A Cup by inferior opponents and then ships 11 goals in the next two games, there can only be one outcome. The Interim tag was also unfortunate but that was yet another Meire goof and the consequences are well articulated by Fraye.

    The forecast for Edinburgh tomorrow is cold and rain. All we need is a slow walk out and some grim determination. Scotland forever!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....