Friday 4 September 2015

Make or break weekend for Scotland

My countrymen, including a few mates from the Granite City, are in Tbilisi for this evening's European qualifier against Georgia, a side we struggled to overcome by the only goal at Hampden last year. On Monday night we face the Germans in Glasgow by which time our chances of finally qualifying for a group stage in a major championship for the first time since France in '98 will be far clearer.

The mood is positive and there is a resilience about Gordon Strachan's side but I am I am nervous. That comes from twenty years of ultimate disappointment following Scotland. Scotland have yet to win away in this tournament and they really need to do it tonight. That might set them up for the World Champions, but anything less and our hopes could be in tatters come Tuesday morning.

I have been a member of the Scottish Travel Club for two decades but getting official tickets has rendered that a waste of money. The numbers travelling to every game, including friendlies, means the first couple of thousand available from any away allocation are already gone. I have watched my points reckoning drop steadily and have been forced to buy from touts or spares on the day over the last few years which hasn't helped.

The chance of returning to France next Summer comes with a bitter pill that I am likely to struggle to get tickets. Perhaps it's not something I should worry about....

1 comment:

Go on, you know you want to....