Saturday 22 March 2014

Charlton Athletic 0 v Burnley 3

In the end it was  routine defeat. A side second from top but with the least number of defeats in the entire league edged the match that gives them countdown on automatic promotion. The fact that their line-up was barely recognisable speaks volumes for the job Sean Dyche has done. Kieran Trippier was out, as was Danny Ings but we would barely notice as Burnley matched us across the park and played with confidence borne of a side that knows it's heading for promotion. I thought Stanislav was excellent until subbed and Barnes was the pick of the Clarets.

We competed throughout and we looked much better than a relegation-threatened side, however, once again we struggled to create anything meaningful in the final third. The back four were pretty solid and we competed evenly in midfield but we were woefully out-gunned up font. Our own pairing of Obika and Church failed to create anything. Barring a late Church break and tame shot, he was second best all afternoon and Obika appeared to play ten yards short of the line which effectively ruled him out of serious danger.

Asdarevic made a difference once he came on but he was profligate on occasion and he had little to aim at. Poyet was excellent in the middle but he was subbed before the end and I was left wondering if he has a knock.

We now face three consecutive aways at Forest, Derby and Leeds and there will be few who believe we can get more than two points from those trips. Things ease up after than with three home matches in four but if we are chasing our tail by then, darkness may be upon us.


4 comments:

  1. Did you not hear the cheer as their third went in???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete, Tony and others - thanks, I did indeed leave a minute or two early as I had a pressing appointment at the Royal Oak. The Sky transmission went off in there too so no mention of the third goal! I somehow feel slightly better knowing it was only 2-0.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am kind of pleased my original comment got the chop.

    I felt utterly despondent by the last 30 minutes. It was poor as anything I have seen all season.

    The Heal the rift article spells things out perfectly. I would like to be positive. I am looking for a reason to renew my season ticket.

    I can accept the change of manager / coach. Riga seems a decent enough coach and there was some nice passing football. This may be good for the future.

    The clear deficiencies at right midfield and upfront have not been addressed. Because of that, I have difficulty having faith in Roland's mid term to long term strategy when the short term strategy has come up so short.

    CPRR

    ReplyDelete
  4. CPRR - not sure if you were referring to me but don't remember chopping any previous posts from you?

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....