Sunday 8 December 2013

Yeovil Town 2 v Charlton Athletic 2

I did a treble of home wins yesterday before heading off to see Frozen in 3D with the kids (it is Christmas). I was home, however, in time to follow events at Huish Park as well as my two other homes, Ipswich and Leeds.

My bet was based on Leeds and Ipswich showing form and us not showing any. I have no compunction betting against us and use the old win-win scenario in terms of my bet or Charlton picking something up. At half-time I would have torn my ticket up but it was upstairs with my wallet. Watford and Charlton were two-up and Huddersfield were one-up at Ipswich. My bet was, in effect 5-0 down. 

During the course of the second-half, Leeds and Ipswich both rallied to recover the lead and we let Yeovil get back to 2-2. An unsatisfactory afternoon then, but at least Watford had the decency to level again with Leeds at the end so it wasn't just a poor draw for us which let my coupon down. 

From Charlton Life, 5-Live and Sky's Soccer Saturday, I managed to glean that we took the lead against the run of play and that Cameron Stewart enjoyed something of a field-day on his return to Yeovil where he was on loan last season. He scored the first and laid on the ball for Jackson's free far post header minutes later which gave us control of the match.

After the break Yeovil continued to come at us and two equally quick goals mid-way through the half saw the Glovers level. A deflected own-goal and a penalty make it look even more disappointing but they all count. Johnnie Jackson also managed a red card for a violent tackle and we had to hang on with ten men for ten minutes.

It's high-flying Derby up next at the Valley and it's obvious we are scrapping for points in a relegation dogfight. I have said it many times before but we have to be bolder and be prepared to gamble for three points. Keeping things very tight is much more likely to get us a point but that's not good enough at home and what sends sides down.

All quiet on the takeover front which has many suggesting any deal is once again off. Slater has also said there's nothing going on but I'm not buying that. I suspect he's trying to play things down after someone let the cat out of the bag deliberately which may have back-fired as a negotiating ploy. You have to think things will become clearer before New Year because any prospective new buyer would want to strengthen their sides chances in the transfer window, especially with us looking like flirting with relegation. If it doesn't get done by then they may decide that they can afford to wait another few months to ensure they are not buying a League One outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, you know you want to....