Tuesday 7 August 2012

Squad trimming

Rumours that we may be about to say farewell to Paul Hayes, Leon Clarke and John Sullivan. If it's just those, then I will have little complaint.

I don't think we saw the best from Paul Hayes but I don't think he can do the business at Championship level. He was an undoubted trier and an unselfish player but his return was simply not good enough. Personally, I think we were wrong to bring him back from Wycombe in the midst of a purple patch, only to play 45 more minutes with us. I wish him we'll and hope that he can settle down and score some goals in League One.

Leon Clarke was probably worth a gamble. He looked the part upfront. Big, strong and rangy, he often reminded me of Stan Collymore but he had no end product. Couldn't appear to shoot and was disappointing in the air for a tall man.

No doubt there will be plenty glad to see the back of John Sullivan but I am not one of those. I thought Sullivan showed great promise when he joined from Millwall. Opportunities last season were few and far between and he didn't make the most of them but I would have held on. Reserve keepers are always something of a risk and we will only do the same as far as I can see in signing a similar player with little or no first team experience who will be another risk. I never quite understand why we sign a young keeper like Pope but don't expect to play him for several seasons until he suddenly matures post-23. Other players who are good enough can start when they like but not goalkeepers it would appear. He's 20 now and is fully grown. If he's good enough, why can't we take a risk as a reserve keeper?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, you know you want to....