Friday 23 September 2011

League One Weekend Preview, Game 9

Tomorrow's bumper Valley gate will once again come expecting to see the opposition put to the sword and us maintain our pole position at the top of League One. History would suggest a one-nil wager on Chesterfield is where the value-bet lies. Whilst I am acutely aware of our propensity to fluff our lines on occasions like this, I have to believe we will get the result tomorrow to set us up for two testing away games at the homes of early promotion contenders.


I am planning on being at the game tomorrow but there is a chance I might miss it. My Niece, whom I consider my first-born, is beginning university at Sussex tomorrow and I am taking her and her stuff down to Brighton first thing. My job is to ensure she gets settled into her Halls of Residence, or Cholera City as I believe it is affectionately known. There are then several repeat presentations from the Chancellor (whoever he is) which begin at 2pm. If she wants me there, I will be glad to accompany her but I am hoping she might dispense with my services and send me back to the Smoke in time to see the game. There is a chance I might have to listen to radio snippets as I hurtle homewards. In which case, I should be able to follow progress around the other League One venues. If you see a large, breathless man storming into Block D of the East mid-way through a half tomorrow, spare a thought.


AFC Bournemouth v Hartlepool United
You have to feel sorry for Bournemouth. It's all gone so wrong in such a short space of time. Hartlepool are unbeaten in four away and I suspect they will maintain that record tomorrow.
Prediction; 0-2


Bury v MK Dons
I'd love to think Bury could take something here but they have already been beaten three times at home and MK will be bouyant.
Prediction; 0-2


Carlisle United v Stevenage
Surely Carlisle can't lose another home game? They lost three so far but managed three wins on the road. The Borderers to steady the ship at Brunton Park.
Prediction; 2-1


Charlton Athletic v Chesterfield
If BWP plays, I have him down for a double and that should be good enough. Chesterfield are undefeated in four but we should present a tougher test than Orient, Bournemouth, Carlisle and Bury. I really hope we play some football whilst we are at it.
Prediction; 2-0


Colchester United v Walsall
The U's to sneak a second home win of the season in front of a tiny crowd..
Prediction; 2-1


Huddersfield Town v Leyton Orient
The O's are in danger of being relegated before Christmas. Russell Slade must be drinking as much red wine as me at the moment and not because he is enjoying life.This should be the O's tenth league game without a win and it's very difficult to defend a two point return from 30. There's a boil behind the scenes and it has to be lanced.
Prediction; 5-0


Notts County v Rochdale
Our early season win at Notts County is looking like one of the results of the season. Can't see Rochdale coming close.
Prediction; 3-0


Oldham Athletic v Brentford
The Bees have been at it on the road but they meet a recovering Oldham and it may be hard to split them tomorrow.
Prediction; 1-1


Preston North End v Tranmere Rovers
Preston have recovered from their opening day shock home defeat by Colchester and are stringing the results together. Tranmere also started brightly but I suspect these two will finish at least ten places apart. Home win for me.
Prediction; 2-0


Scunthorpe United v Yeovil Town
Like Orient, Scunthorpe have yet to win a league game this term. If you can't beat Yeovil on your home patch, you have to wonder where the points will come from.
Prediction; 1-0


Sheffield Wednesday v Exeter City
Can't see it I'm afraid. Five straight home victories for Megson's boys.
Prediction; 3-0


Wycombe Wanderers v Sheffield United
Should be an away banker but I believe Wycombe are a better side than their league position (and results) have so far shown. They might be good enough to deserve a point here.
Prediction; 2-2


1 comment:

  1. look forward for you causing a commotion in the block next to mine

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....