Friday 9 September 2011

League One Weekend Preview, Game 7

Three o'clock in the morning and I can't sleep. I am off to India on Sunday for a ridiculous working week that will only involve work, travel and sleep. I have a hundred and one things to prepare before I go and they are keeping me awake. Perhaps the diversion of blogging will take my mind off it and enable me to get back to sleep?


So, Exeter at the Valley on Saturday? I am immediately encouraged that New York Addick won't be there and also by news that our visitors are low on morale, carrying injuries and 20th in the table. When you add to that an unbeaten Charlton start, an overdue convincing home win and something to prove from the last two Valley outings, this looks a home banker or a banana skin. I am going home banker. Here's who else is doing what...



Preston North End v Yeovil Town
This match is played this evening although I can't see any listing on Sky Sports. Maybe there is a gurning competition in Preston tomorrow? Anyhow, Phil Brown looks to be settling his North End steers after a rude re-awakening to League One football and I expect them to gobble Yeovil up here.
Prediction; 3-0


AFC Bournemouth v Chesterfield
Both of these teams find themselves in the relegation places and they have only a solitary Bournemouth home win between them. That tends to suggest a home win but I'll take them to share a point.
Prediction; 1-1


Bury v Rochdale
Not exactly the Milan derby but no doubt it's a big day out if you sport a flat cap and own a whippet (enough of the stereo-typing already). These two are both struggling too and avoiding a return to League Two looks to be their priority. Both would probably settle for a point.
Prediction; 1-1


Carlisle United v Hartlepool United
An East v West Coast affair here and Pools are currently travelling well. Add that to Carlisle nervy home form and I'll take another draw.
Prediction; 1-1


Charlton Athletic v Exeter City
Resounding home win. Two first-half goals to set us up for a big win to see us clamber above United or the Dons. We owe this lot for ruining our largest gate of last season...
Prediction; 3-0


Colchester United v Leyton Orient

Something is horribly wrong with the O's at the moment and Barry Hearn will be concerned after last year's strong finish. Colchester aren't exactly firing on all cylinders themselves but this looks like an easy three points.
Prediction; 3-0


Huddersfield Town v Tranmere United
Having only won two from their opening six, Town have crept up to 7th courtesy of being unbeaten. Lee Clark will have taken heart from that and he will be content to play the long game. Tranmere have started better than I would have expected but surely it won't last?
Prediction; 2-0


Notts County v Walsall
Notts County managed to fit in a game at Juventus in the week as they were invited to open Juve's new 41,000 seater (Juve adopted County's black and white stripes when they formed in honour of the world's oldest football club). It could be a morale booster - apparently no County player was on the pitch for longer than 60 minutes (11 subs?) - but it could backfire here in a game they would ordinarily expect to win.
Prediction; 2-2


Oldham Athletic v Stevenage

Stevenage are finding their feet in league Two whilst Oldham continue to splutter. I'll be bold and go for the away win.
Prediction; 1-2


Scunthorpe United v Sheffield United
Come on the Iron - time to dent some Blades and get your first win of the season! 
Prediction; 2-1


Sheffield Wednesday v MK Dons
I wasn't impressed with Wednesday the other night but they are big and strong and will fancy this at Hillsborough. I don't believe MK Dons will go the distance this year.
Prediction; 2-0


Wycombe Wanderers v Brentford
A local encounter of sorts here and my pre-season surprise package Brentford have made a good start. The Chairboys have yet to win at home and I can see them waiting a bit longer.
Prediction; 0-2


I will miss the Preston game in the week as I will be sleeping in Bangalore and I don't get home until Saturday, so have the perfect excuse for not schlepping up to Rochdale. Hopefully Saturday will be a pleasant footballing experience to send me off in good spirit. Back to bed now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, you know you want to....