Sunday 28 August 2011

Bury 1 v Charlton Athletic 2-

A bit later than normal for me, due to an early viewing at the Greenwich Picturehouse of The Guard yesterday (thoroughly entertaining) and a Thai with Mrs Peeps, but I did listen in to the commentary at Gigg Lane yesterday whilst painting the ceiling of the new roof on my shed summerhouse.


I was surprised at how disappointed I felt to learn that Bradley Wright-Phillips was out of the side. I had an immediate fear that it would cost us the game and that lasted until we equalised minutes into the second-half. It's not as if we haven't been playing with confidence, especially away from home and not as if we have relied upon BWP for the goals, but the prospect of no BWP left me flat. I guess I am recognising how important he is to the side, always being capable of scoring irrespective of how the rest of the team is playing.


Our first-half performance didn't sound encouraging either and Bury took control of the latter stages of that. Steve Brown was very unhappy with the centre-back pairing and with how far back they were playing. He kept referring to the gap between them and midfield which Bury began to exploit. The goal they scored was from a quickly taken free-kick which Ben Hamer wasn't ready for. He'll learn from that.


The mood changed after the break when Paul Hayes headed a far-post Jackson cross down and up into the the roof of the net. Suddenly we were on our game and Brownie perked up and gave credit for the half-time re-organisation that had realigned the defence and fired us to go at Bury. Our reward was a second goal as Johnnie Jackson ghosted in at the far post after a mistake in the Bury back line and slotted home the winner. A late rally was almost inevitable as Bury threw their subs on but we held on comfortably to remain joint top of the fledgling table.


I have been looking ahead at the coming fixtures and predict we will go points clear before I return from my India trip on 17th September. The draw for the 3rd round of the League Cup was made yesterday and we face either Swindon or Southampton if we can overcome Preston at the Valley. I hope Powell rewards the B team for their first round win by playing as many of that side as he can against Preston. Southampton will probably await us and that could be the end of the road irrespective of what side we put out, so I would again be tempted to stick with the same starting eleven, not that I am counting chickens or anything.

1 comment:

  1. Worrying that the deep defence that has been the cause of our mediocrity over last few years has resurfaced. Our high quality midfield was toothless as a result. Good that a change was made but I'd expect a high line to be the cornerstone of our gameplan.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....