Friday 17 June 2011

Even the fixtures look boring...

Earlier this week I got a bit of a buzz about the new fixtures coming out today. After the drudge of last season, maybe this would be the start of some prolonged good news? Then they were out and what a let-down.

Largely a repeat of last year. Not a single stand-out fixture for me and it was even hard trying to remember which sides had come down from the Championship. Oh yes, Preston, Sheffield United and Scunthorpe. The blood's hardly pumping. In fact, the fixtures make the League Cup home draw against Reading look like a much better match than it is.

July is in sight and apart from the decent signing of Danny Hollands and links to a host of average journeymen, there hasn't been a whole lot of shaking going on. I have made my point concerning Paul Hart known and my view hasn't changed one iota since reading New York Addick's thoughtful piece about how the club might be being run. I am guessing the mysterious "funder" NYA refers to is likely to be less of a surprise should we ever find out and, as he tells us, it probably doesn't matter anyway providing he's putting in some cash. The concern is, that if he's in this for a profit, we are likely to be up Shit Creek without a paddle if we can't break the downward spiral pretty soon.

My season ticket purchases can wait for now.

4 comments:

  1. With the greatest of respect, Dave, I'm not quite sure what you was expecting that led to the comment "Largely a repeat of last year. Not a single stand-out fixture for me", and even more surprised that you will delay the purchase of your season ticket (which I'm guessing you will inevitably get) as such (I take the liberty in assuming the two comments are linked).

    I wonder if the comment was lost in translation, but there was never going to be any uplifting surprises in opposition! We know we're going to have to play the likes of Stevenage (a team who I clearly wrongly still view as non-league) which is never going to be fun considering our not-so-distance highs.

    Alas, Barcelona are not in our division...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crowborough Addick18 June 2011 at 10:22

    Major Ken sems to be pretty sure of some key signings in the pipeline (see CAFC picks), so maybe something to look forward to.

    This just shows how average the division is this year, so it is vital we progress this season. Hopefully we will no longer be seen as the major scalp we have been. I can see storm clouds on the horizon, I just hope it's our lovely summer weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hungry Ted - I know we are in league One and you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear but you hope you might get a few of the more exciting (sic) fixtures on better days e.g. Yeovil away on Boxing Day? Hartlepool at home to finish the season (again)? Done the Oompah-Lumpahs. Is the pick of the crop really Orient away on Boxing day? it looks like it. As far as buying my season tickets goes, I haven't been motivated to do it so far and the fixtures having got me rushing out of the door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CA - We need six first-teamers who will be an improvement on those they replace and we have one so far. That's only to have a side capable of competing. We also need a settled back-room staff who are all pulling behind the manager. My big worry is that won't be the case.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....