Tuesday 21 June 2011

Ben Nevis

A conversation with several friends last year lead to the acknowledgement that none of us had scaled the heights of Ben Nevis (I was up there as a kid but we drove half-way up and that doesn't count). As Scots this seemed something that needed addressing and this weekend we are planning on tackling that. 

Four of us Scots, three friends from Bexleyheath and Mrs Peeps will make our way up to Glen Nevis on Friday to establish base camp and the assault, irrespective of the weather, will begin on Saturday morning. None of us are serious walkers so we have been having amateur conversations about what we should take and what we should wear. I have a pair of modern walking shoes which I bought because they were a bargain, but am leaning towards a pair of trusty Timberlands. Jeans are a no-no for the regular walker but I don't have anything better or anything from Rohan or Blacks. A Charlton shirt is out so I will have to think of another way to weave the Addicks into the walk. I am busy making a list so we aren't hopelessly unprepared and possible candidates for an episode of next year's Highland Rescue. 

Glen Nevis skirts the mountain at sea-level and is a short distance from Fort William. It's largely a camp site, so my other big challenge is finding somewhere decent to eat after the event when Mrs Peeps estimates that we will have 3-4000 calories to replace. Fort Williams is a bit of a one-horse town and I have stayed there a couple of times before and had two memorably forgettable meals. It is also chronically short of decent pubs. Beer, of course, is the perfect isotonic drink to combat physical exhaustion and that heavy refreshment invariably leads to a curry. The best and worst British curry houses I have ever been in are both in Scotland. Unfortunately, the best is in Aberdeen and  the worst in Fort William, so I have a challenge on my hands to find somewhere else that will be acceptable to everyone. Any suggestions for our table of eight would be most welcome.

Now where is that emergency blanket and those distress flares....

9 comments:

  1. Good luck, Dave. I'll look forward to hearing how you get on.

    My walking friends and I were going to tackle Ben Nevis later this year, but when coordinating our calendars it worked out we'd have had to make our accent in the dead of winter, which we didn't think was advisable given our lack of experience in walking in such environments. Looks like it's next summer for us.

    I'm returning to the Lake District in late summer, when we will climb Scafell Pike (some 1200ft lower than Ben Nevis!). We done the trip last year as part of a 3 day wild camping weekend and it was a truly awesome experience. Thankfully, my trip is conveniently sandwiched between two Addick home games!

    By the way, I'd strongly advise a different trouser than jeans. Any other fabric than jeans. Think Chef's Ar+e!!! Rather than risk an uncomfortable day, especially if there's rain, a £25 pair of water repellent, nylon trousers may prove a snip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whats all this talk of where to eat/what to wear? I would of thought the day would consist of a bowl of steaming hot porridge, followed by dressing yourself in a tartan skirt and dealer boots. On completion quenching your thirst by means of a case of Mcewans and eating a well earned, deep fried Mars Bar.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a lovely pub , with great food just 200 yards from Glen Nevis . Good luck with your walk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hungry Ted - I have received similar advice from a mate I'm going with so may have a look in Sportsworld and see if there's anything that will fit me. Scafell Pike and Snowdon have been mentioned. Maybe next up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony - Give me break. I am playing to my audience. I have an Internet persona to maintain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ray - thanks. I'm guessing this is the imaginatively named Ben Nevis Inn? On your recommendation I will pay it a visit on Friday and see if it will do the job for the famished walkers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun Dave. Have you not got a Charlton flag you can put on the summit?

    I look forward to reading about it on your return.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy yourself, Dave...and take the vaseline...it has many uses! But the one recommended by walkers is to coat your feet.

    Next year...the rest of the Munros?

    http://walking.visitscotland.com/munros/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suze - like the proverbial Boy Scout, I am always prepared. Not sure about the feet but my lips will need it! Munro-bagging is strictly for locals!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....