Friday 6 May 2011

Traditional end of season day out?

The last game of the season is traditionally an opportunity to do something different. Fancy dress for away fans for example or making a night of it after the game. It's usually the last you see of some of your football mates until the pre-season is well under way and certainly the last you see of old Charlton faces. It's a day I normally look forward to and ensure I have a pass.


In keeping with the last four months, interest is dismally low and I haven't bothered managing expectations of the family. Instead, I will have a couple of pre-match pints in the Rose and maybe a couple in the Con Club after the game but that will be it. I am guessing it will be another low crowd and many of the people I might normally expect to share a pint with will again be missing. The weather forecast doesn't look like helping with rain likely up to kick-off and maybe only some evening sunshine. Bloody typical of this horrendous season.


So let's look forward.  I reckon we have about 13 weeks until the season restarts on 7th August, although that's a guess as I can't find any confirmation on the internet. Unusually, I have booked my Summer holidays in advance of the fixture list being published and will likely miss the opener if it's the 7th August. 


In the meantime, there is a lot of work to be done at the Valley to restore supporter confidence and, whilst we have been saying this fruitlessly for the last three seasons, I believe it's imperative that we make our changes as early as we can. We need a fast start and excuses about players needing to gel or just being one or two short after the start will be a lost opportunity and, a few precious points down the drain. 


It would be encouraging if we already have a blueprint in terms of transforming the side and that some of the pieces could be put in place before the nation's players jet off first class to exotic hotspots for six weeks. Perhaps that's too much to expect even with wheeler-dealer Tony Jimenez on the Board and encyclopaedic scout Jeff Vetere in harness. I will settle for one or two in June and four or five main signings on board by mid July. 


It would also be great to some some positive off-field announcements too and I am hoping we see some end product from Peter Varney in terms of innovative  new ideas to re-garner interest amongst the fan base. All suggestions via the comments box please!

4 comments:

  1. I can confirm the season starts on 6 August Dave, with the fixtures being released on 16 June - less than 6 weeks away!

    Share your hopes for early signings & with the club planning a trip to the sun early in the pre-season build up, perhaps, just for once, we may not be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ketts. Knew you would know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can't have the same situation that we've had the last few summers with only a handful of players showing up for pre-season training. Powell and the board have to hit the ground running!

    What is our pre-season schedule?

    ReplyDelete
  4. CA - The only thing I have heard is a testimonial at the Den which I am pleased to say I will miss because I am on holiday. I will guess now that the rat will follow the uninspiring pattern of the last umpteen years when we play a load of away games at inferior opposition who make us look like we are in their league. Bah humbug!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....