Sunday 8 May 2011

Charlton Athletic 0 v Hartlepool United 0

Following yesterday's nil-nil, Summer has officially started. It was a decent day yesterday enlivened by 600 Hartlepool fans who came to enjoy themselves. Apart from a couple of stunning strikes which were kept out by the underside of the crossbar, there was more amusement to be had watching the forty-odd perfectly dressed Oompah-Loompah's in the Jimmy Seed. In the circumstances, how sick would you have felt dressed as Santa Claus all day?


It was sad to see Jon Fortune stretchered off with a ruptured Achilles which could spell the end of his career. Up until then, he had been enjoying a rare Valley start alongside Miguel Llera, Freddie Bessone and Chris Solly. With Rob Elliot in goal we looked largely untroubled until the latter stages but by then I think both sides had settled for the point. 


Bradley Wright-Phillips almost broke the deadlock in the opening half-hour when he latched onto a ball into the box and clipped a clever shot over Scott Flinders only to see that damned crossbar keep it out. In the second-half, the ball came out to Bessone who roared onto it and hit what was the hardest shot I think I have ever seen. He got over it and it looked unstoppable save for the crossbar again and, I think, a hand from Scott Flinders to ensure it came out. If he's capable of that, why haven't we seen it used more often?


Player of the Year, Jose Semedo revelled in his new status and Michael Stewart  played like he was trying to impress someone. Calum Harriott started the game and looked very confident. He plays with pace and isn't afraid to take players on or look to get by and run into space. Surely already a better player than Kyel Reid thinks he is.


Before the game, I got up to the White Swan for a few pints of London Pride and we were joined  by Kings Hill Addick and his Dad. Whilst I am still a big fan of the Rose, the Swan has to be the best drinking spot if your journey takes you via Charlton Village. The new decoration has made it light and airy and the garden has been restored to close to it's 70's hey-day. After the game I had a few lagers in the Con Club where it was good to say farewell to a few of the lads for the Summer, including my old season-ticket neighbour who was making a rare appearance from Leeds.


This morning, I got up with the lark and onto the Iron Horse for a few hours with Pete. We got a bit wet to start with but the sun was out soon enough as we explored the back-streets of Rotherhithe. I knew it had long since changed up there, but hadn't realised just how much. Complete social cleansing. All of the old council housing looks to have gone. We were surprised, and impressed, to see so many of the local pubs still open and, by the looks of them, thriving. Maybe the Yuppies have saved them? I made a mental note to come back and visit a couple - we will see. We also cycled around Surrey Docks, somewhere I am a tad embarrassed to say I have never been before. I suppose I always knew there were docks somewhere there but hadn't seen them before or realised just how large they are. The nearest I have come before is Surrey Quays station and a sortie once upon a time into the Warrior pub. Other than that, we have always had the car doors locked and have hurried by.


Over Tower bridge and back through the Isle of Dogs and the Greenwich foot tunnel before swift progress down the Lower Road and home for bacon sarnies. The sun is still shining and I am down to Halling for lunch with the in-laws. 


Tomorrow I am heading off to Bangalore for a few days work. I hope the sun is still shining when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, you know you want to....