Thursday 17 March 2011

Freudian slip

Twice this week I have logged onto the BBC's football site and immediately gone for the League Two page instead of League One. The prospects of League Two football have been playing on my mind and fixtures like Dagenham & Redbridge away hardly help break the cycle. Our points gap is probably too great for that to be a serious concern and another three wins should do it, although we might have to wait until late in April to be mathematically safe. 


I am a few grounds short of the 100 Club but haven't been tempted to date by the demoralising prospect of seeing us play a league fixture at a ground and against opposition that for nearly all of my life would appear to be an early round  F A Cup draw. I will be at Murrayfield on Saturday instead and will hardly pay a thought about affairs across the river at Dagenham & Redbridge. For what it's worth I can't see us losing this one but we aren't playing well enough to beat anyone. Draws may be the new wins.


Instead I may be left feeling even flatter if I have to suffer Scotland picking up the Wooden Spoon after a third successive home defeat. Italy are beginning to compete up front in the 6 Nations but I can't see them winning at Murrayfield. Scotland should be up for the forward battle and I expect it could get quite tasty. If we match them there, then I expect us to out-run them and maybe score a try or two in front of our suffering home fans. The Ireland v England match also promises to be a belter and the Irish will be desperate to avoid handing a Grand Slam England in Dublin.


Maybe I can break the losing cycle this weekend? It might engender a little hope for Tuesday when I fully expect Southampton to capitalise on our current misery.

3 comments:

  1. You know how our lot like to mess with our brains - it would be just like them to 'do' the Saints. I don't know how....but it could happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crowborough Addick18 March 2011 at 15:35

    THis looks like a tasty game. It will definitely be a war of atrition up front.

    I just hope you dare spread the ball wide as you have some quite talented backs. If you resort to a kicking game you will be playing to Italy's strengths.

    Too close to call, but a game I look forward to with relish.

    Have a dram for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CA - thanks. I keep hearing about these talented backs, so would like to see them put in a full shift. At least Max Evans finally showed he has something last week. I'm no whisky drinker but I will think of you when I get my first pint tomorrow - cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....