Sunday 5 December 2010

Buzzcocks

A quick internet search will tell you that the cleverly scripted television programme, "Never mind the Buzzcocks,"  is far better known than the group, the Buzzcocks. That may be because the Buzzcocks are a 30 year old band who never achieved any real commercial success.


That means they are still gigging to pay the bills. Last night I saw them, embarrassingly for the first time, at the Mick Jagger Centre in Dartford. It's their fault really because they split up for the entire 80's when I would probably have got to see them. They did a cracking set straight through for 90 minutes with a proper encore that sent the largely middle-aged audience home happy. Their material hasn't changed and they are honest enough to give you what you came for, which is just as well bearing in mind the audience. A high energy guitar thrash with a decent drum-role and some straightforward lyrics. 


I have to say I was only really familiar with "Orgasm Addict,"  "What do I get" and the ridiculously titled "Ever fallen in love with someone you shouldn't have fallen in love with." The latter is an obvious favourite and a classic punk track with perfectly simple if largely repetitive lyrics that nail the track.


As I stood queueing in the toilets that are far too small for a venue of this size (a great addition to a school), the silence was broken by a balding 50 year old who turned to look around those behind him and said "yeah, this looks like a Buzzcocks gig, all we've got to look forward to is prostate cancer." That's as maybe but the spirit of my youth means I'm not going to wear beige trousers, start drinking halves or not being bothered any time soon.



1 comment:

  1. I've seen them a few times over the past couple of times - outstanding 100mph punk. Saw them at the Jagger centre a couple of years ago as well - added poignancy for me as its my old school and that was the first time I'd been inside for 30 years. The mosh was manic - and a trifle rough given the size of the inhabitants..walking back was little difficult.

    I did ask a mate if he wanted to go on Saturday. He said the last time we saw them all the songs sounded the same. I did mention that meaningful lyrics and fine tunes have never been on the agenda....



    Pembury Addick

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....