Friday 6 August 2010

League One Preview, Game 1

Well, it's that time again. The new season kicks off tomorrow and I will wake up feeling like a 14 year-old again, full of optimism and earnest hope for the day and the season ahead. I will hit the pub early and stay out for a few hours afterwards until I am tired enough to go straight to my bed , hopefully to drift off replaying the goals that put us at the top of the opening table on goal difference.


It's a big day for the Football League as well as for League One and here's who else is playing whom in our division.


Southampton v Plymouth Argyle
Cracking opening day fixture this as Plymouth get a south-coast derby. I suspect this may be a rude awakening for Argyle and a tough welcome to League One.
Prediction; 3-0


Carlisle United v Brentford
A trip to Brunton Park on the opening day? No thanks. The Bees have been busy in the close season and will be in positive mood but this represents a real test of the early-season credentials. On last season's form alone I would be tempted by the home win.
Prediction; 2-1


Charlton Athletic v AFC Bournemouth
Oi-Oi! I am immediately drawn to either a 1-0 home win or a hard-fought draw. Bournemouth should bring a sizeable following for what is arguably one of their most attractive fixtures of the season and I expect their players to dig in and battle hard. We will need to play to our potential to win this and will need a hero to emerge from the pack and score the goals to do. Hard to see anyone else other than Pawel Abbott doing the damage. I am going to stick my neck out and claim the points. I am praying we aren't bemoaning our failure to capture additional strikers come 5pm tomorrow.
Prediction; 1-0


Exeter City v Colchester United
Not the most glamourous fixture of the day. David Mooney will be out to remind us of what we've missed but Colchester may not be force they were early on last year and Exeter may have enough to win here.
Prediction; 2-1


Notts County v Huddersfield Town
Big day for Notts County and this could be the Match of the Day. I'm taking Hudders to make a bright opening and signal some intent for the rest of the season.
Prediction; 2-3


Peterborough United v Bristol Rovers
Posh have fallen through the trap-door and have been busy rebuilding but might find this harder going than anticipated as an experienced Rovers. 
Prediction; 1-1


Rochdale v Hartlepool United
Dale fans will relish this fixture outside League Two and will be up for it in  spite of having their pockets picked in close season. Hartlepool were slow starters last year and I find myself opting for another home win.
Prediction; 2-1


Sheffield Wednesday v Dagenham & Redbridge
The fixture computer has thrown up a tie here to match our own against Bournemouth. Paul Benson looks likely to start and it's a hiding-to-nothing match for Wednesday. I can see Dagenham making a bright start but slowing succumbing as Irvine's troops get down to business.
Prediction; 2-1


Swindon Town v Brighton & Hove Albion
Intriguing match-up this, with a slightly depleted Swindon facing a beefed-up Brighton. Town were hard to beat at the County Ground last year but I suspect they may have to battle to take a point here.
Prediction; 1-1


Tranmere Rovers v Oldham Athletic
Not one to get the heart racing. Both of these sides can consider themselves fortunate to still be in League One. Paul Dickov's view that he was happy to see Pawel Abbott move on because of the embarrassment of striking riches at his disposal had a hollow ring to it and he might start regretting that comment as early as tomorrow.
Prediction; 2-0


Walsall v MK Dons
A derby of sorts and one I find hard to call. MK Dons ran out-of-steam last year and Paul Ince must surely be on borrowed time. Walsall managed a respectable tenth but operate on the margins and will need to be running at full steam to match that again.
Prediction; 1-1


Yeovil Town v Leyton Orient
A trip as daunting as Brentford's to Carlisle. At least O's fans will only have six days after this before they get to see their side in action against the mighty Addicks. Another hard one to call, so I'll go home for safety.
Prediction; 2-0

 

Wherever you are tomorrow, I hope you enjoy your game as much as I do.


C'mon you Reds!

2 comments:

  1. Good job Dave, I am quietly excited by the new season. I will be at home listening to the commentary.

    One thing - Paul Ince ran out of time and left in the summer. Carl Robinson (ex of the MLS) is now manager with Dietar Hamman as no.2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks CA. I really mustn't be so lazy. I really mustn't be so lazy. I really mustn't be so lazy. I really mustn't be so lazy. I really mustn't be so lazy. I really mustn't be so lazy etc.
    I do remember Incey parting company so should have known better. I'd amend the post but it's probably only you and half-a-dozen others that will get that far down and like me, they probably won't realise. Hope all's well with you and look forward to catching-up next time you get to a game.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....