Monday 12 July 2010

Summertime at the San Siro

I'm not even sure if the Fiat dealer across the road is still going or if they are still sponsoring Welling's Park View Road ground, but I'll be there tomorrow to feast my eyes on the new strip and whoever's wearing it. We all know by now that friendlies are a waste of time and shouldn't be taken seriously, especially when you are playing and losing to inferior opposition.


No, if we can't play any real teams, then we should be satisfied with turning up to see our mates and all those familiar ageing faces we haven't seen for six weeks. Hopefully the rain will stay away and it will pleasant enough to stand outside a Welling pub and joke about what's happened to our club. My good Millwall mate (and his Missus) from Cyprus has returned home after a fortnight's holiday with me and has been replaced by an equally good pal and his family from Aberdeen. It's great to spend time with good friends and when it's a Aberdeen fan who feels our pain, then it's even better. The Dons current parlous financial state mirrors our own and they too have slashed their squad and are looking for bargain basement replacements. Their season ticket base has collapsed and even their biggest fan is not bothering to renew this year - "after 35 years I've had enough." He'll still go every week but only out of misguided loyalty. We know the condition.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you did B&B Dave? I must remember that :-)

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....