Friday 4 June 2010

South Africa '10

World Cup fever is about to intensify. The Royal Oak has been decked out in a sea of St George Cross flags and I was roundly jeered by some of my neighbours as I walked passed yesterday. But you won't find me sulking or resentful. No Sir, I will watch all of the England games and will cheer the boys on.


In fact I will be watching England's opener in the company of five Aberdonians and attempting to bring some balance to the debate. In Spain. Yes, the Good Lady suggested I spend a weekend in Murcia at a mate's holiday home in return for a Spa Day for her and a friend. She works so hard, how could I refuse?


I think England have the squad to do really well but I can't help but see two potential weak links; David James and Rio Ferdinand.Robert Green could yet get the nod in goal but ominously, James was given the Number One shirt yesterday. He's been an inspirational goalkeeper at times during his career but his performances are punctuated by absolute howlers, the sort that could end a World Cup campaign. Ditto for Rio really. He has all of the ability but struggles to concentrate for long periods and is equally prone to costly lapses of concentration and judgement.

3 comments:

  1. Im looking forward to watching the world cup games in the Oak... and I can imagine a few others are looking forward to seeing me there too! Not. Ho hum.

    Had a rather melancholy drink in there with Alan on Monday early evening. Just a couple. We sat there reminiscing about good times that were had down there. Anyway i was joking, I wont be setting foot in there for a game. Ill be in sunny Hythe for the first one anyway. Enjoy Murcia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. Missus gets a day and you a weekend. Enjoy Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Rio won't be the problem.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....