Wednesday 12 May 2010

The most important two or three successive matches in our history

In my opinion, it's as simple as that. Friday's Swindon away leg is not in itself a critical game but the result could heavily influence the shape of the home leg and, ultimately, our chances of making Wembley. We have won through to Wembley in the play-offs of course, once before, when the prize was far bigger but the consequences of losing were nothing like as potentially fatal as they are now.

Failure to gain promotion this season will lead to another round of dramatic cost cutting and the current squad will be shorn of it's best players and replaced with  low cost alternatives, likely to be non-league and youngsters who will need time to bond and even longer to develop. It makes next season in League One a huge challenge and we would do well to compete in mid-table. Revenues would fall further and the downward spiral would most likely continue with who-knows-what perils lurking in the shadows.

Swindon will bring a windfall of c £750,000 but we could add another £1m to that by getting to Wembley. Ironically, a total not a million pounds away from that recouped for Jonjo Shelvey. The prize for promotion may not be the fabulous riches of the Premier League but it has to be measured against the cost of failing to go up which accentuates the difference significantly.  

We might not like it, but promotion via the play-offs is the dream ticket for Richard Murray. He knows that his chances of extricating himself successfully and delivering the club into a safer financial future will be enhanced immeasurably if he is selling a Championship club on the up.

Promotion really could prove to be our salvation. I am pleased to report that fate has smiled on me and I have managed to get my hands on a hot spare, so will continue my 100% play-off attendance record on Friday and I'm really up for it.

COME ON YOU REDDSSSSS!

5 comments:

  1. Great post, but how do you work out the £750,000 figure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, Dave, I'm pleased to hear you got a ticket! I hope you never had to pay over the odds. Secondly, I totally agree with your thoughts on the perils of failing to win promotion this term. I'm really trying to stay positive, but my mind constantly torments me about the possibility of a dark outcome. A work colleague couldn't understand why I wasn't jumping through hoops after the Leeds game, but we all know it will mean nothing if we don't go up. I see the next two - hopefully three - games as the most important in the 16 years or so I've been watching the Addicks regularly. On a plus, I'm far more confident the team has the 'steel' to hold their nerve than I was a few months back. Come on you Addicks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wyn,

    25,000 gate against Swindon at £25 a head (inc programme sales)= £625,000 plus matchday hospitality/food/beverage sales and TV revenue. Not sure if we have to give part of this to Swindon but would it be partly off-set from the first leg if so....

    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you're off to Swindon tomorrow, Dave...I hope you have a great time, and have things to cheer. I'll be watching...from behind the sofa!
    Watching the Forest/Cardiff game yesterday (and yes maybe worth more money) it brings home in stark reality, what promotion to any league means these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you got a ticket Dave. Give them a huge roar from me.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....