Monday 29 March 2010

Pardew wins the JPT

In this season of hard-to-takes, Addicks fans had to suffer again on Sunday as Southampton romped to victory at Wembley in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final. Smug Al got to massage his ego once more and took the opportunity to say that he thought Southampton could yet make the play-offs if they can beat Brighton at the Withdean on Thursday and then win their next two homes games - the second of which is against us. All of a sudden, Southampton failing to make the play-offs takes on added importance, just like Palace being relegated. In the words of Kevin Keegan, "I'd just love it if we beat them."

1 comment:

  1. Dave, you are spot on regarding Pardew's ego. I can't quite believe how one man can be so immeasurably impressed with himself with so many question marks against his managerial record. I don't mind a fella showing confidence, but his smug face is hugely irritating! I harbour no bitterness to Southampton, and congratulate them on a Wembley victory.

    For me, whilst at Charlton, Pardew regularly used his programme notes to self-promote himself far too much. The tipping point was when he made a particular statement after yet another disappointing performance and defeat (I confess, I can't recall the specific game - there was so many - but it was a month or so before he was sacked), using his programme notes to 'reassure us all' that he was in for the long-haul and that Charlton wasn't being used as a stepping stone for his career. In essence, for me, that translated to mean that he clearly didn't accept Charlton's impending relegation as his fault and that he assumed we, the fan, didn't either, and that despite finding himself in the lower reaches of the Championship and heading downwards, we shouldn't worry that he was about to leave us for any of the tens of Premiership job offers he was getting hourly!

    I wanted him to go!! Furthermore, I was truely stunned to think he could believe I was concerned about him leaving of his own choice!

    That article will resonate in my head for some time. I have never been so disappointed with an individual supposedly representing my club (no, not even JFH!).

    Further more, so bad was the article and it's timing, I was surprised the club allowed it to be printed.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....