Wednesday 30 December 2009

Hopes & Fears for 2010

As the New Year approaches I have found myself thinking about what I would like for 2010 and almost inevitably I contemplate what I wouldn't want......

Hopes.....

1) Automatic Promotion; obvious for all Addicks, I guess, but interesting that my highest hopes didn't include the title. Perhaps that's a Freudian acknowledgement that it's out-of-our-reach? Maybe us Charlton fans will just be grateful for small mercies...

2) Promotion via the Play-Offs; we would all settle for second best but it's not something you want to consider when you are second in the table and have been there for most of the season. If we get toppled by Norwich, then it will obviously become much more acceptable and our track record here is decent.

3) Financial Stability; the takeover trail appears to have gone cold again. Gold and Sullivan look like they have had the knock-back at West Ham, possibly until late 2010 and yet there has been no further speculation of their supposed Plan B. I've laid out my theory on this before and will be very surprised if anything comes from them which is why I think we are back to square one. Promotion this season might improve our financial status to the extent that we can cope in the Championship but anything better than that is clearly beyond the means of the current Board and Richard Murray has gone on record to that effect. Without promotion we face another tough Summer where it's hard to see how we could avoid selling players off and starting next year with a much weaker side than we have today.

4) A decent Pub in Charlton; matchday drinking has become an increasing problem. My once beloved Royal Oak has failed to recover from the loss of Ray and Penny. The current incumbents are having a go but the character of the pub went with the disastrous re-fit and no-one has since come close to getting the right staff and the right level of staff. Local trade has also been all but killed off. My views on the other remaining drinking venues is well known but we are in desperate need of some investment and I can't see it coming in the current climate.

5) Palace and/or Millwall to go into Administration; this might appear a little negative but it would be a major boost to morale for the boot to be on the other foot after several years of us being the whipping boys.

Fears..

1) Another year in League One; failure to go up this year with no improvement in the financial position of the club could see us consolidate as a League One club. It doesn't bear thinking about although I guess the likes of Leeds have survived it...

2) Millwall in the Play-Offs; it's the nightmare scenario, especially at Wembley. We would be outnumbered 2-1 as many of our supporters decided the risk of violence wasn't worth it and they would probably beat us on the pitch as well as on the way to the stadium.

3) Losing Bailey in the January transfer window (or to long-term injury); I don't think we'll let that happen but a determined big money bid from someone desperate to avoid the drop from the PL might be impossible to refuse. Without him we would lose our driving force....thinks of Robert Lee and Scott Parker.

4) Failing to make the Play-Offs; unlikely though that looks at the moment, it's not impossible and could have a catastrophic effect on the club. If we are to drop down to third or fourth, much will depend on our response, especially if we were to lose any key players in January. The consequences for season ticket renewals etc in 2010-11 would be grim. All those comparisons with seasons tailing off under previous management etc would be very hard to live with.

5) Walsall being off; I don't subscribe to the "it would be good to postpone this one" view. We need a win and we are probably in the right frame of mind for it right now. We also need the points to hang on to second. I have also bought three match and train tickets and don't to contemplate the hassle of looking for refunds etc.

All thoughts and comments welcomed!



8 comments:

  1. Agree Dave. I'm not sure I can handle the play-offs especially if not successful. The club's very future hangs on getting up this season.
    We certainly can't afford to lose Bailey or indeed 3 or 4 other players. Several of them are integral to any hope or success we might have.
    Undoubtly when we've all our players fit we're about the best in this league.
    We could do with getting a proven goal scorer and left sided midfielder in the transfer window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this sounds silly, but if I had a guaranteed choice I'd rather win the playoffs. It's a great day out at Wembley, and significantly more exciting than finishing second. We must win promotion, however, and second place just seems a lot more guaranteed and will potentially bring to an end sooner the worry of having to spend another season in this division.

    I think we need to accept that we are going to be living hand to mouth for a while longer. Thankfully Murray et. al. are more than willing to continue doing that, so let's be happy for now.

    As I'm not much of a drinker at football (having to drive) I'd much sooner see Millwall and/or Palace in Administration than a new Pub near The Valley.

    As much as I've enjoyed this season, and I'm likely to go to more away games than any two other seasons added together, I agree that being stuck in this division would be about the worst thing that could happen. As we're talking about the whole of 2010 I guess what would be worse would be to be promoted then go into administration which would effectively mean that we were a League One team in waiting for a season before another season down here. I'm confident that will not happen, however.

    I would just love to beat Millwall at Wembley. I agree that it would be the worst way to lose, and the stress of the run up to the game would be just too unbearable. Also the thought of us being in the division below both Millwall and Palace just doesn't bear thinking about.

    After being rather critical of Bailey in the summer (I think I was getting in the retaliation first as I got the impression that he was paying lip service to the fact that he was desperate to leave) I agree that he has a massive influence on the side. We could probably manage without him for the odd game, but right now he epitomises the spirit that we have been lacking for a few years and is so desirable to us fans. I believe he will stay, and I’m beginning to imagine him becoming a legend for us over the next five years. If we win promotion and establish ourselves in the Championship as playoff contenders I can see no reason as to why he would have to leave.

    I cannot see the playoffs slipping away from us this season. I don’t want to tempt fate, but I just cannot see the current squad mentality allowing that to happen. Parkinson is, as Murray has suggested, much more like Curbishley than Pardew ever was. If we are safe from the team in third place catching us then I’m happy to lose the last ten games. If you go back far enough Curbishley’s teams never fell off at the end of the season. It started with the advent of hitting the season’s target earlier each year. Just because some of the fans thought we were better than just staying in the Premier League, didn’t make it true. It looks too close to happen this season, but if we only need four or five points in the ten eight games then maybe, otherwise I think we’ll be winning games right up to the death. I also believe that I have seen very little this season that I would fancy to beat us, so why not carry on with an average of two points per game.

    I am worried about Walsall. There is a small part of me that would fancy our chances a little more with Sodje, Dailey, Richardson and Youga in the side. If we win it then great, if, however, we don’t then I might feel differently. Maybe we could play the game and have the Referee stop it with a frozen pitch after 89 minutes if we are not winning? I also suspect that I will lose interest in going if it becomes a midweek game. Ok, I’m with you, let’s play it – and win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave - how do you sleep at night with all that worry?! Happy new Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope Four
    The Rose of Denmark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon - The Rose is a beacon of excellence but it's an away-pub and 300 yards too far to be perfect on matchdays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leeds were always going to find themselves eventually, and they chose this season to "get it right"...after that there are a few clubs who would like to, or their fans would like to think should be there for that second automatic place. I think Leeds will still rise without the help of Beckford, who looks as though he is on his way out. We need that place, our finances and therefor our position won't get better if we stay where we are...

    Around here Norwich supporters think they're the second automatic promotion club.

    I don't like the play-offs...I can't take the stress, not anymore...I was there for the Sunderland match. So, please, yes I'd love that automatic place...

    I see you've said "financial stability" rather than takeover. Seeing how some of the takeovers are falling apart, Portsmouth a prime and rather high profile example at present. It would be good to have the kind of money which would guarantee our future, and not be at the whim of television money, but that's never going to happen, not now...there's probably only one club that can. Rothschilds are in talks with Intermarket, but with the Icelandic Straumer saying they're not in any hurry to sell. I'm sure Murray et al will not sell us into a situation where we would be losers...but we do need that stability.

    Also a driver...but if we do visit one it's The Anchor and Hope, it's closest to where we park.

    I hope Bailey stays and sees this season out...but without that promotion I wonder about next.

    Unless Walsall is waterlogged, my guess the match will be on. We need to prove to ourselves and others we can pull out all the stops in that promotion push. Make others chase us...

    Administration...be careful what we wish for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well considered as usual Suze. The Anchor is a close second but it too is 300 yards too far to be anywhere near perfect. Bet wishes for 2010!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....