Thursday 22 October 2009

Charlton Bloggers.....

Anyone with more than a passing interest in CAFC knows that we have a supporter base that has an almost unparalled interest and close connection with the football club. Certainly since the mid-eighties when the very existence of the club was in doubt, Charlton fans have rallied in many unique ways in defence and support of their club. That bond was hardened for many by a seven year absence from the Valley that crystalised what was most important about our club; home and community.

It's been no surprise that the bond between the fans and the Board has been so special over the last 20 years. The fan on the board, Target 10,000 and subsequent campaigns, fans employed in key club roles including Chief Exec and a committed and award-winning community scheme. The Premier League years gave the club a chance to spread that work with charitable work overseas. We pioneered Kid-for-a-Quid and Valley Express. Our supporters were central to all of this and much more.

I was on holiday once and was identified as a Charlton fan within the first day or so by a Rotherham supporter who told me that he had met two Charlton fans previously on separate occasions, both of whom, to his mind were "fanatical." He said to his wife "this bloke won't just buy tickets for the odd match, he'll have had a season ticket for twenty years and go to practically every away match. I had to laugh, but he was spot on.

You might be wondering by now what the title of this post has to do with the above? Well, I got to thinking about the number of Charlton Blogs that there have been and the number that are still running and still appearing. I was prompted by New York Addick's revelation that he will be returning home and that his active blogging days may be coming to an end.

From a quick count, the total is around 50. During the close season I decided to put a link from each club in League One to the best looking blog that I could find about them. This might sound straightforward but it was a real struggle as you can probably tell if you ever try one of the links. In many cases all I could find was one of the franchised message-boards that are run by businesses looking to sell advertising rather than dedicated supporters who want to talk about their club. Finding Charlton Bloggers is simple. As soon as you find one, all of the others are invariably linked.

The other key thing with blogs is about how often they are updated. Finding a regularly updated blog on an opponent is often as hard as finding one in the first place. Typically they are a full match behind and often worse. If you add to that the relative health of our message boards, and Charlton Life in particular, then I think you begin to get a much fuller view of the strength and dedication of the support we have for our club.

Perhaps it's the anorak in us but I like to think it has much more to do with our history and the kind of people we are.


7 comments:

  1. Nope. We're all Anoraks.

    I'd love to expand, but I have to rush down to West Malling train station as I've heard that the 14:45 is going to be two minutes late today and I need to mark it down.

    TTFN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three minutes late KHA...

    I tried looking for some Leeds fans' comments following our game with them and drew one hell of a blank.

    At the risk of sounding like an anorak champion I have to say that the proliferation of quality Charlton blogs has revolutionised my use of the internet and the volume of Charlton data available to me.

    Now I must go and reserve my place at the end of platform 5 London Bridge.

    Pembury Addick

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess there is an element of the train spotter about us, as sometimes labelled by other club's fans.

    I prefer to think it is more down to how Charlton fans feel more connected with the football club. It is more than a team, more than a hobby, it is, well something Charlton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not our lives, but it's our lifestyle choice.

    Some buy the gossip magazines; some buy the gadget magazines; some buy the 'boys' magazines; but us Charlton fans read blogs and chase around for that extra snippet if info about our club.

    I love the latest gadget as much as the next man, but by default my web browser is a portal to all things Charlton.

    Maybe it's because our club is special. Maybe it's becasue we are 'special', either way we are in the Champions League of the blog world, and I have to say I quite like it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's probably down to a number of things. However, if you consider the club's recent history ( I mean the last 20 odd years or so in that ! ) then you really value it and as a result it makes you more passionate than your average supporter.
    There's always plenty of lively and interesting debate.
    Whether you agreee with others views or not, it's good to read about the shared passion that is CAFC !

    ReplyDelete
  6. All you Bloggers are far more interesting to me as a life long CAFC Supporter than most national newspapers!!

    Keep up the good work, to one and all of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any comment from a Charlton Blogger is worth reading and when I first found the Blog sphere by accident it was great to know that there are a great bunch of genuine decent people who have gone through all the trial and tribulations that I have supporting our beloved Charlton Athletic Football Club.
    Come on you Reds

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....