Thursday 20 August 2009

The goals at Orient

Just watched our goals at Orient again and have to say that they are much better than I remembered watching the game live, although the O's goal was actually softer than I thought! I was in the back row of the Charlton stand and was at the other end from where all the goals went in, so perhaps I didn't have the best view, although I saw them clearly enough.

The Orient goal was simple and I can see that it was Youga again who was left to defend the near post and who was outjumped by Mkandawire, very similarly to the first goal Wycombe scored at the Valley. He is a full-back and shouldn't be expected to win high balls into the box against taller strikers or centre-halves. I can't help feeling Grant Basey would be better at this as well as more effective clearing his lines and supporting the left-winger (even if it's Nicky Bailey who's actually playing inside the line).

Jonjo's strike was as I remember it but I don't recall him having to do it with so little space or the close attention of O's players. It really is a much better goal on second inspection. Deon's too, looks much better and he had far less time than I recall between skipping clear and having to place his lob.

Having won all three games by the odd goal, it would be great to cement the perfect start with a two or three goal margin on Saturday. If we saw the benefits of a more relaxed second-half performance against the O's, and Dailly and Elliot have both commented to that fact, perhaps we will start very comfortably against Walsall on Saturday and take control of the game during the opening 45 minutes. Expectations again and all that, but it should be much easier than coming from behind to win at Leyton Orient.

Isn't it great to have that yearning back to see the next game?

7 comments:

  1. Dave - we won by two goals at Hartlepool...

    Pedro45

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does that make Youga at fault for every goal we have let in this season...both against Wycombe, one against Leyton Orient...didn't see the Hatlepool game...

    I think we need a new LB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the odd goal? I thought we beat Hartlepool 2-0.

    Agree otherwise though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm being a bit pedantic I know, but didn't we win by 2 goals against Hartlepool!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pedro - yes 2-0 at Pools - just testing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon - I wouldn't fault Youga for Zebroski's second and as Pedro has already pointed out, we kept a cleansheet at Hartlepool! I don't think he'll want to be liable for one on Saturday at the Valley.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't at Hartlepool, but both the other games have finished with us defending with our backs to the wall. Nothing wrong with this, but I, like you, would like our home games to be a little more clear cut.

    Going into the last ten minutes with a two or three goal margin (I know it's greedy) would be much more satisfying - even if less exciting.

    I'm not going to be there on Saturday (wife's friend's wedding) so maybe we can save our three goal win until we play Brentford in September.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....