Thursday 15 January 2009

Next up Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough

This is my first post on ‘drinking during the game’ and I hope to provide periodic pieces about Charlton, the Championship and the game in general. I’m going to offer my thoughts on up-coming opponents along with football betting advice.  Next up is a visit to Yorkshire to face Sheffield Wednesday in a match I think Charlton have a decent chance of winning.

Wednesday haven’t won in their last six matches and go into this one low on confidence.  According to the press they’re still harbouring play-off ambitions but in truth that ship has well and truly sailed.  They are a hard side to predict though and seem to do well against the teams above them and not so well against the teams below them. 

I watched the Addicks against Forest and they were desperately unlucky.  How many chances were wasted before Tyson popped up and scored against the run of play? I think the arrival of Graeme Murty will help though.  He was a decent player at Reading in the Premiership and he should be a useful addition.  I don’t know so much about Tom Soares, he was rated at Palace but I don’t think he’s been used at Stoke much.  Hopefully he’ll have something decent to contribute, especially if he debuts on Saturday.

Wednesday did manage a credible 1-1 draw away at Ipswich on their last outing.  They also have some decent players, especially defender Richard Wood who has attracted interest from clubs in the Premier League. Jermaine Johnson, Mark Beevers and Marcus Tudgay are also worth a mention and getting a result out of Wednesday won’t be easy.  They are a side guilty of erratic form though and I think Charlton may well cause a minor upset and get a win out of the inconsistent Wednesday.

Deon Burton is well overdue a goal and wouldn’t it be fitting if he could get one against his former club? He wasted a couple of chances against Forest and it looks like he’s a bit low on confidence, perfect time to start scoring then!  It is a hard game to predict and I think I’ll probably be leaving it off my weekend betting.  My football betting picks for Championship this weekend are Preston and Southampton at home and Reading and Sheffield United away.

 (http://betting.betfair.ie/football/championship/)

Up the Addicks


Gareth Freeman

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the world of Charlton Blogs Gareth.

    Let's hope your first post ends in a win.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....