Wednesday 26 November 2008

Varney misses out - Peter not Luke

Radio Five is announcing the appointment of a new Chief Exec at Arsenal and it isn't Peter Varney. Sir Peter was interviewed for the position but has been passed up for Ivan Gazidis, a former administrator with the Major Soccer League, unsurprisingly someone I have never heard. Presumably he speaks good English and has an intimate working knowledge of the Premier League?

Arsenal's loss I say. If Peter's feeling refreshed and ready for work again, what chances he'll help rescue the sinking ship? I have attached a picture of him here with our Chairman, or at least the bloke who used to be our Chairman and is still recognised as such by the clubs supporters.

5 comments:

  1. Gazidis was born in South Africa, raised in England, has a masters in law from Oxford, played football for Oxford, was one of the founding executives of MLS, has many top international connections, lives in Connecticuit and yes, he speaks English quite well and his knowledge extends well beyond the Premier League.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think Varney will be the next FA Chief Exec.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In these times when we need to stick together, do I suspect a hint of negativity toward Derek Chappell?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guessed Mr Gazidis might be able to speak English - I was trying to make the point that Peter Varney must have been a very strong candidate compared to someone who has worked for the last 14 years in America.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pedro - I am afraid you do. I agree we need to stick together in these times but I also believe the Chairman should be doing his bit publicly and he's conspicuous by his absence.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....