Sunday 9 November 2008

Plymouth Argyle 2 v Charlton Athletic 2

Blimey! We didn't lose and we might actually have won. I was walkabout up-town yesterday at 4.45pm and had the mobile on live scores updates from the BBC. Walking back over a congested Hungerford Bridge with a Pompey and a West Ham fan, I was able to relay the news that West Ham had blown it in several late minutes and that Pompey nicked a late winner after equalising at Sunderland. In between times I was able to annouce my disbelief at a Kelly Youga equaliser and then an Andy Gray winner in 90+1 minutes. The other Charlton fan with us was equally cock-a-hoop and we stopped off at the Wellington for a farewell pint with the Pompey fan to celebrate. The web-browser was switched off.

I was none too pleased then to be told later on that we'd drawn. In fact I had to check for myself because I didn't believe it. By all accounts the "old" team Pardew reverted to actually took the game to Plymouth and, for once, we preyed on the vulnerbilities of our opponents despite going a goal down. Sounds like both sides had chances throughout the game so the frantic finish was not totally unexpected. Luke Varney would appear to be the biggest loser after being subbed early in the second half. Matt Holland and Mark Hudson both get forward mentions in the odd reports I have read and it was Hudson who won our late penalty. 

The point hauls us above Watford and Southampton but the Hornets play at Swansea today in a game they should find hard. I suppose we have to hope we can get something at Birmingham next week on the back of this or at least avoid a morale -sapping defeat before having to try and play in the bear-pit that the Valley has become through recent inept performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, you know you want to....