Thursday 15 May 2008

Osei makes two

Osei Sankofa has been released today after ten years with the club and after only a handful of first team appearances. He has been unlucky with injuries since breaking into the first team for his debut as far back as 2003 in a game against Manchester United. You have to feel sorry for Osei and think it might be a case of "what might have been." He's still only 24 and I last remember him being sent off at Arsenal for a challenge on Van Persie which only merited a booking in my opinion (Osei - I left within 20 minutes or so after you) . I wish him well in his search for a new club. Assuming he gets one, he will be confident of maintaining the tradition of a scoring return when we see him again.

Assuming Chris Powell has gone - and I am assuming he has (for now) after Pards was quick to state that we couldn't offer him a new deal, Sankofa's exit makes it 2-0 in the out column. I have a strong view that we will get to c 10-4 before the season re-starts and I suspect Ben Thatcher could be next to be shown the door. This might seem harsh, but it's what good managers do and Pardew knows there can be no room for sentiment, especially after the season we have had. The fact that we will shortly watch Hull and Bristol City play-off for the Premier League will again put this season's failings into sharp focus. In the meantime, I have had to watch dirty Leeds make Wembley; Gary McAllister looked and sounded surprisingly confident after the 1-2 home reverse about Leeds' chances in the away leg at Carlisle and so it has proved. My PMA, Karma, Voodoo, ESP etc will now focus on the Donny v Southend winners, although I thought Carlisle had the best chance of maintaining natural order and justice. I suppose the good people of Doncaster would relish the opportunity of leaving the "Champions of Europe" behind in the third division. C'mon Donny!

6 comments:

  1. It is actually 3-0 as Cory Gibbs has also gone

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is probably 3-0 to the out column if you include the departing Cory Gibbs. Wish Osei all the best, I'm not sure Pardew gave him enough of a chance really. With only one other recognised right back (Moutaouakil), does this suggest the AP is going to make Halford's switch permanent? I think I am one of not very many who think that would be a good idea.

    With regards to Thatcher, I would feel comfortable letting him go. I think Basey and Youga are two young attacking left backs who will provide enough competition for the spot. Thatcher was brought in when we were in a relegation dog fight and Pardew wanted to add some grit to the side, but it seems he may now be surplus to requirements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad to see Sankofa go. He did a decent job when he played and I'm surprised he wasn't seen as good enough to at least be a back up to Mootoo. His release is a sign that right back is one of those four positions Pards is looking to strengthen (after Mootoo failed to nail the spot himself).

    I'd prefer to see the likes of Thatcher, Holland, Thomas leave. With the bulk of the team based around our younger players. I'm aware many are unproven and I'd be prepared to witness another mid table finish if I can see young players develop. As far as i'm concerned the established players have shown they haven't got much to offer even in the Championship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn! I thought there was another but I couldn't recall the name. Cory Gibbs! That explains it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard - agree completely re Halford and re Thatcher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Johnny - I hink Thatcher and Thomas will go but Holland will stay for another season. Not sure I would be happy with another season like this unless we didn't have any money to spend. The fact is, we have the parachute payment and should be able to strengthen the side. On the basis that we under-performed this year, you have to think (expect) that we should be a lot closer to promotion come May.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....