Tuesday 8 January 2008

A minutes community applause?

As I have already said, I won't be there on Saturday for the Blackpool game as I will be in Scotland. I will draw a mild comfort from the fact that I will miss the planned minutes applause for all those in our "community" who have died in the last year. I don't want to sound like a hard-heart or grumpy old man, but I find this excruciatingly embarrassing, and frankly, a bit offensive.

The minutes silence and now the minutes applause has become a regular event at football matches and it seems the clubs are all keen to do it at every possible opportunity. The Marketeers must love it as do the television companies who expose what is meant to look like a minutes private grieving to the noses of their audience. Every former player now gets his minute, irrespective of how many times he represented the club or his actual contribution. Anyone associated with the club also gets their minute and in recent years we have extended it for most national tragedies and the departure of senior figures.

The net effect for me is that we have devalued the minute for those who deserve it most. Players of their generation who would be readily recognised deserve their moment as does anyone who has made a known contribution to the club. I think there is a case for a minute for some national figures and incidents because it gives us an opportunity to stand together (literally) and show solidarity and respect, but these should be limited to the Queen, a serving PM or events like the London bombings.

On Saturday, most people will stand there wondering what's going on. Those who have lost someone during the year, even a Charlton fan (I have), will presumably have already paid their last respects and done their grieving. Sorry, but this is just more PC nonsense. In future I will ensure I stay in the pub for an extra pint to ensure I avoid these spectacles.

5 comments:

  1. Nothing will ever match the minutes silence for Princess Margaret. There was hardly a dry throat in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's most ungracious. I agree that we should limit the minute silences, but as a community club I think this is a great initiative and a chance for all fans and friends of the club to be remembered at the place where they felt most at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem. It is similar to the way I feel about seeing bunches of flowers tied to lamp-posts etc. For me, grief should a private matter not public. I would never preach to others who do this, as each person deals with grief in their own way, but it is not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This idea of a minutes silence was raised after the passing of Duncan Frame. Friends of Duncan rallied the club to say they wanted a minute's silence for him as he was Mr Charlton. The club rebuffed this idea citing it was too controversial as it would lead to other fans' families requesting a minutes silence.

    So this is one of the reasons why this idea came about. At the beginning of each new year any Charlton fans that have passed during that year will have their name up on the screen, if their respective family requests it. Im assuming Duncan's name will also be up there since it was his untimely death that sparked this idea.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure I remember some team or other wearing black armbands because the father of a club member had died, could be wrong here. It is verging on the ridiculous, what about others associated with the club, perhaps an ex-tea lady (sorry person) died at some time or other, do we clap for them too? I think I spent the minute's silence for Gincess Margaret in the loos, I wasn't the only one.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to....