Wednesday 14 November 2007

D-Day Loometh

My holiday plans for next Summer will most likely be decided on Saturday. As things stand I'm not sure where we will be going although I have easy options in Scotland and Spain. What is clear, is that victory for Scotland over World Champions Italy will mean a week or two spent in Austria or Switzerland as Scotland extend their European Championship hopes. Negotiations with Mrs Peeps will wait for now.

I will be at Hampden Park for the showdown and I am already biting my fingernails. I have caterpillers in my stomach and a dream-like feeling that somehow it can never happen. How can our team of journeymen professionals beat the mighty Azurri, the multiple World Cup winners and reigning holders? The feeling is exactly the same as the quarter-final appearances that the Addicks have made in domestic cup competitions in my lifetime - you know, the anticipation but the overwhelming doubt that it can somehow never be.

I am reminding myself hourly that my national team have faced and overcome this feeling already on a number of occasions already during this campaign and that the players themselves will be honestly confident about their chances. We have a great record at Hampden Park and the game could be seen as easier than winning in Paris in September. Lightning will need to strike twice. The dream is still alive.

Focus on the Russia game will be intense north of the border too and, whilst I will be in a minority, I hope Israel can get the result that keep England fighting for a bit longer. The summer tournament will not be the same without some home country interest and if Scotland don't make it, I hope England do, although my holiday plans won't feature Austria or Switerland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, you know you want to....